Re: [GENERAL] Convert from LATIN9 to UTF-8 / WAL Replication

От Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Convert from LATIN9 to UTF-8 / WAL Replication
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Hello,

I must convert a Latin9 Pg-cluster (Version 9.1) in utf-8 with minimal
downtime, if possible.
My idea is to use WAL replication for that.
Is it usable for that or in other words, can WAL Replication handle
different encoding on master/slave?

Short answer: no!

Is there perhaps an other way to do that?

I never tried it, but you can use some logical replication tool like Slony.

Is it possible to use on Master Version 9.1 and on Slave 9.6 (it will
get the new master in the next step)?

Unfortunately no because on 9.1 version we don't have support for logical replication yet. We start supporting it since 9.4 using pglogical extension. As I said before you should consider use one external replication tool like Slony to do this job.

Regards,

--
   Fabrízio de Royes Mello         Timbira - http://www.timbira.com.br/

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] views and fdw usage and performance
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] views and fdw usage and performance