Re: Read access for pg_monitor to pg_replication_origin_status view

От Martín Marqués
Тема Re: Read access for pg_monitor to pg_replication_origin_status view
Дата
Re: Read access for pg_monitor to pg_replication_origin_status view  (Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Kyotaro-san,

> Sorry for not mentioning it at that time, but about the following diff:
>
> +GRANT SELECT ON pg_replication_origin_status TO pg_read_all_stats;
>
> system_views.sql already has a REVOKE command on the view. We should
> put the above just below the REVOKE command.
>
> I'm not sure where to put the GRANT on
> pg_show_replication_origin_status(), but maybe it also should be at
> the same place.

Yes, I agree that it makes the revoking/granting easier to read if
it's grouped by objects, or groups of objects.

Done.

> In the previous comment, one point I meant is that the "to the
> superuser" should be "to superusers", because a PostgreSQL server
> (cluster) can define multiple superusers. Another is that "permitted
> to other users by using the GRANT command." might be obscure for
> users. In this regard I found a more specific description in the same
> file:

OK, now I understand what you were saying. :-)

>   Computes the total disk space used by the database with the specified
>   name or OID.  To use this function, you must
>   have <literal>CONNECT</literal> privilege on the specified database
>   (which is granted by default) or be a member of
>   the <literal>pg_read_all_stats</literal> role.
>
> So, as the result it would be like the following: (Note that, as you
> know, I'm not good at this kind of task..)
>
>   Use of functions for replication origin is restricted to superusers.
>   Use for these functions may be permitted to other users by granting
>   <literal>EXECUTE<literal> privilege on the functions.
>
> And in regard to the view, granting privileges on both the view and
> function to individual user is not practical so we should mention only
> granting pg_read_all_stats to users, like the attached patch.

I did some re-writing of the doc, which is pretty close to what you
proposed above.

> By the way, the attachements of your mail are out-of-order. I'm not
> sure that that does something bad, though.

That's likely Gmail giving them random order when you attach multiple
files all at once.

New patches attached.

Regards,

--