Re: non-zero xmax yet visible

От Ming Li
Тема Re: non-zero xmax yet visible
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 1:26 AM, Ming Li <mli89257@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm a little bit confused by the meaning of xmax.
>>
>> The documentation at
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/ddl-system-columns.html
>> says
>> "xmax
>>
>> The identity (transaction ID) of the deleting transaction, or zero for
>> an undeleted row version. It is possible for this column to be nonzero
>> in a visible row version. That usually indicates that the deleting
>> transaction hasn't committed yet, or that an attempted deletion was
>> rolled back."
>>
>> According to this, it seems a committed change should result in an
>> xmax value of zero. But a huge number of rows in our database have
>> non-zero xmax values and are still visible.
> Not exactly, this is only the case of a tuple that has been only
> inserted in a transaction. To put it in simple words an inserted row
> will have its xmin set to the current transaction ID with xman set at
> 0, and a deleted row will have its xmax updated to the transaction ID
> of the transaction that removed it.
> An updated row is the combination of a deletion and an insertion.

Well, an update statement generates a new row version. The deletion
xmax is set on the old row version and not on the new one?

If only session 1 is doing an update concurrently, xmax of the final
row version is set to 0 as expected.

    => update test_data set value = 3 where id = 1;
    => commit;
    => select xmin, xmax, id, value from test_data;
       xmin    | xmax | id | value
     363072457 |    0 |  1 |     3

If session 1 and 2 perform overlapping update transactions as in my
previous example, xmax of the final committed row version is not zero.
This is what I find confusing. Why is the new row version of an update
transaction associated with a non-zero xmax? The new row version
itself is neither deleted nor updated.