Re: procedure using CURSOR to insert is extremely slow

От Milos Babic
Тема Re: procedure using CURSOR to insert is extremely slow
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi Zoltan,

you should try to rethink the logic behind the query.
Numerous if/then/else can be transformed into case-when, or a bunch of unions, which, I'm 100% certain will do much better than row-by-row insertion.

However, this is a general note.
Still doesn't explain why it takes faster to insert with deletions (?!!)
Is there any chance the set you inserting in the second run is smaller (e.g. only a fraction of the original one)?

If possible, you can send over a fragment of the code, and we can look into it.

regards,
Milos