Re: procedure to contribute this community

От Chris Angelico
Тема Re: procedure to contribute this community
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Gavin Flower
<GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
> On 08/04/13 09:45, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> My development
>> platform consists of Linux, Xfce, five workspaces...
>
> On my workstation, I use xfce with 25 virtual workspaces, 8 currently empty,
> I've been logged in for about 20 days.
>
> On my laptop I use mate 1.6, but that only allows me 16 :-(
> But otherwise, I find mate better than xfce.
>
> Five minutes trying to use GNOME 3, was way too much time to waste on it -
> GNOME 3 is a triumph of Fashion over Functionality. Hence I fled to xfce.

Yeah, me too. I installed Debian Wheezy, found GNOME 3, and went to
Xfce. Then discovered that Xfce is almost, but not entirely, like the
OS/2 Presentation Manager, and started inquiring about ways to make it
more so. (Still trying to figure out how to make Ctrl-Alt-RightClick
move a window one back in the Z-order. Open problem.)

> I have terminals and directory windows with multiple tabs (features not
> available with Microsoft as standard?), not just my editors and web
> browsers.  It is a pity that LibreOffice does not support tabs yet. Screen
> real estate is precious, I try to husband it as best as I can.

Hmm, I never really got into multi-tab terminals. I tend to have
specific-purpose terminals defined by their workspace and position on
screen, and if I went multi-tab, I'd get lost in my own mind as to
which command-recall to be expecting. But maybe I should give
multi-tab a try with my maximized terminals.

> I don't even use Postgres now, except to try and keep up-to-date. However,
> in the next phase of my current project I hope to use it extensively.
>
> For my sins, I have a client I support who uses MySQL - Ugh!

Ugh. You know, I was just talking to someone who looked down on all of
Sweden because of that one product. I think that's a tad excessive,
but he was not unjustified, having recently had to work with its UTF-8
support and its peculiar inability to decode SMP characters without
being told "utf8mb4" mode. Not to mention that, even if you use InnoDB
for everything of yours, the system catalog tables are still MyISAM.
Any chance you can nudge them to something better?

ChrisA