Re: Configurable location for extension .control files

От Tom Dunstan
Тема Re: Configurable location for extension .control files
Дата
Re: Configurable location for extension .control files  (Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12 June 2013 14:19, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Postgres.app is the source of quite a lot of other pain too, though. One
of the bigger problems is that people want/need to link to its libpq
from client drivers like Ruby's Pg gem, but almost inevitably instead
link to libpq from Apple's ancient pre-installed PostgreSQL.

Oh, interesting. Do the ruby/rails folks use that rather than a pure-ruby driver? I guess I'm spoiled - most of my development happens on the JVM, and the JDBC driver doesn't use libpq.

Without a solution to how to sanely share the client libraries I'm not
sure private-tree-packaged PostgreSQL is interesting enough to really
worry about making extensions easier to install.

Hmm, so what might a sane solution look like? It looks like the proper way to build the pg gem is to specify the full path to pg_config. Maybe we could convince the pg gem authors to error out if the found version of postgresql is too old? I presume that we only discover the problems when someone tries to actually use the driver - or do we find out at gem installation time?

Another alternative is for the Postgres.app to add its bin dir to the user's (or system's) path on first startup. Then the correct pg_config will be found (and the correct psql, pgdump etc etc as well). The app could in theory even go looking for existing pg gem installed under .rvm or whatever and prompt the user to reinstall the gem.

After all, users can
currently just open Postgres.app as a folder and drop the exts in there,
or use PGXS and "make install", just like usual.

They can do either of those, but if they then upgrade the app, I presume that the extensions will disappear, and they'll need to rebuild or reinstall them, which is a bit of a pain.

Cheers

Tom