Re: BUG #15046: non-greedy ignored

От Bob Gailer
Тема Re: BUG #15046: non-greedy ignored
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

Thanks! Rtfp, eh?

On Feb 2, 2018 8:48 PM, "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Friday, February 2, 2018, PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org>
> wrote:
>> Works as expected. Then I add |q to the pattern, and the .*? becomes
>> greedy!

> This seems to be explained by the final greediness rule:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/functions-matching.html#POSIX-MATCHING-RULES
>    An RE consisting of two or more branches connected by the | operator is
>    always greedy.

Yeah.  That subsection also contains some useful advice about how to
control greediness decisions --- in this case, wrapping the whole
thing with (...){1,1}? might do what you want.

The short answer, perhaps, is that non-greedy patterns are not
standardized by POSIX and you shouldn't expect that all regex
engines do them the same way.  Ours is definitely different
from Perl's, for example.