Re: POSTGRES/MYSQL

От Michael Nolan
Тема Re: POSTGRES/MYSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 2:20 PM Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
On 12/03/2019 05:35, Michael Nolan wrote:
[...]
>  MySQL is better at isolating users from each other and requires less
> expertise to administer.

[...]

I keep reading that MySQL is easier to administer, but never seen any
evidence of that.  And in my very limited experience of both, I've found
PostgreSQL easier to set up & administer.

I did not say MySQL is easier to administer, I said it requires less expertise to administer.

Perhaps I should have said it requires less expertise to administer it well enough for it to function adequately.  Consider the number of packages that run on MySqL (like Joomla, Wordpress and phpbb3) and the level of expertise of those running those systems.

I've never worked with DB2, but I did spend 10 years as a DBA for Oracle systems, and I'd place PostgreSQL somewhere in between MySQL and Oracle for the amount of expertise it takes to administer it properly.  And the more complex the application, the more that expertise is needed.

MySQL's data issues are well-documented and while they can generally be dealt with at the application level, I prefer to handle both data issues and implementation of business rules at the database level, because that forestalls a lot of problems.
--
Mike Nolan