Re: [HACKERS] Possible issue with expanded object infrastructure on Postgres 9.6.1

От Justin Workman
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Possible issue with expanded object infrastructure on Postgres 9.6.1
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
It would help to know the data types of the columns involved in this
query; but just eyeballing it, it doesn't look like it involves any
array operations, so it's pretty hard to believe that the expanded-object
code could have gotten invoked intentionally.  (The mere presence of
an array column somewhere in the vicinity would not do that; you'd
need to invoke an array-ish operation, or at least pass the array into
a plpgsql function.)
If I had to bet on the basis of this much info, I would bet that the
parallel-query infrastructure is dropping the ball somewhere and
transmitting a corrupted datum that accidentally looks like it is
an expanded-object reference.
If $customer wants a quick fix, I'd suggest seeing whether disabling
parallel query makes the problem go away.  That might be a good first
step anyway, just to narrow down where the problem lies.
regards, tom lane

Hi Tom,

My name is Justin, and I am $customer as it were. As Peter explained, we haven't seen the segfaults anymore since disabling parallel queries. This works as a quick fix and is much appreciated! If you would still like to get to the bottom of this, I am willing to help out with more information as needed. My knowledge of PG internals is extremely limited so I don't know how much help I can be, but we'd like to see this resolved beyond the quick fix, or at least understand why it happened.

album_photo_assignments.id, album_photo_assignments.album_id, album_photo_assignments.photo_id and albums.id are all UUID columns. albums.deleted_at is a timestamp.

Thanks so much for your time,

Justin Workman