Re: CREATE ROLE IF NOT EXISTS

От David Christensen
Тема Re: CREATE ROLE IF NOT EXISTS
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 9:55 AM Mark Dilger <mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2021, at 7:36 AM, David Christensen <david.christensen@crunchydata.com> wrote:
>
> If CINE semantics are at issue, what about the CREATE OR REPLACE semantics with some sort of merge into the existing role?  I don't care strongly about which approach is taken, just think the overall "make this role exist in this form" without an error is useful in my own work, and CINE was easier to implement as a first pass.

CREATE OR REPLACE might be a better option, not with the "merge into the existing role" part, but rather as drop+create.  If a malicious actor has already added other roles to the role, or created a table with a malicious trigger definition, the drop part will fail, which is good from a security viewpoint.  Of course, the drop portion will also fail under other conditions which don't entail any security concerns, but maybe they could be addressed in a series of follow-on patches?

I understand this idea is not as useful for creating idempotent scripts, but maybe it gets you part of the way there?

Well, the CREATE OR REPLACE via just setting the role's attributes explicitly based on what you passed it could work (not strictly DROP + CREATE, in that you're keeping existing ownerships, etc, and can avoid cross-db permissions/ownership checks).  Seems like some sort of merge logic could be in order, as you wouldn't really want to lose existing permissions granted to a role, but you want to ensure that /at least/ the permissions granted exist for this role.

David