Re: Where art thou, plpython2.dll? (EDB installer)

От Daniel Lenski
Тема Re: Where art thou, plpython2.dll? (EDB installer)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Craig Ringer <craig <at> 2ndquadrant.com> writes:

> I've had some issues with how the procedural languages are packaged in
> the Windows installer for a while, but I was very surprised to see that
> plpython2 appears to be entirely absent in 9.3.
>
> It doesn't seem to be provided via EDB's StackBuilder app either.
>
> What's going on? It looks like it was dropped in 9.1.
>
> PL/Python 2 and PL/Python 3 are different things. You can't just upgrade
> trivially from plpython2 to plpython3.
>
> Python 2 and Python 3 install side-by-side without issues.
>
> Why isn't plpython2.dll built and included?
>
> It's good to see that the required procedural language runtime versions
> are now included in "installation-notes.html" in the installer, though.
> Thanks for that.

The absence of plpython2 support in Windows builds of 9.3 led to quite a bit of confusion for me especially because the docs seem to make it quite clear that PL/Python 2 is intended to be the default version in standard builds of PostgreSQL both now and for the foreseeable future:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/plpython-python23.html

(By the way, Craig Ringer and I came across this in a discussion on StackOverflow where we both confirmed that plpython2.dll is absent from the stock installer for PG 9.3. A number of other threads suggest that we're not the only ones who've been stumped by this omission. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24216627/how-to-install-pl-python-on-postgresql-9-3-x64-windows-7/24218449?noredirect=1#comment40700651_24218449)

Thanks,
Dan Lenski