Re: Online verification of checksums

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Online verification of checksums
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 13:38 Michael Banck <michael.banck@credativ.de> wrote:
so, trying some intermediate summary here, sorry for (also) top-posting:

1. the basebackup checksum verification logic only checks pages not
changed since the checkpoint, which makes sense for the basebackup.

Right. I’m tending towards the idea that this also be adopted for pg_verify_checksums.

2. However, it would be desirable to go further for pg_verify_checksums
and (re-)check all pages.

Maybe.  I’m not entirely convinced that it’s all that useful.

3. pg_verify_checksums should read the checkpoint LSN on startup and
compare the page LSN against it on re-read, and discard pages which have
checksum failures but are new. (Maybe it should read new checkpoint LSNs
as they come in during its runtime as well? See below).

I’m not sure that we really need to but I’m not against it either- but in that case you’re definitely going to see checksum failures on torn pages.

4. The pg_sleep should go.

I know that pgbackrest does not have a sleep currently and we’ve not yet seen or been able to reproduce this case where, on a reread, we still see an older LSN, but we check the LSN first also.  If it’s possible that the LSN still hasn’t changed on the reread then maybe we do need to have a sleep to force ourselves off CPU to allow the other process to finish writing, or maybe finish the file and come back around to these pages later, but we have yet to see this behavior in the wild anywhere, nor have we been able to reproduce it.

5. There seems to be no consensus on whether the number of skipped pages
should be summarized at the end.

I agree with printing the number of skipped pages, that does seem like a nice to have.  I don’t know that actually printing the pages themselves is all that useful though.

Further comments:

Am Montag, den 17.09.2018, 19:19 +0200 schrieb Tomas Vondra:
> On 09/17/2018 07:11 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > * Tomas Vondra (tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> > > On 09/17/2018 06:42 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > > Without the checkpoint that's not guaranteed, and simply re-reading the
> > > page and rechecking it vs. the first read does not help:
> > >
> > > 1) write the first 512B of the page (sector), which includes the LSN
> > >
> > > 2) read the whole page, which will be a mix [new 512B, ... old ... ]
> > >
> > > 3) the checksum verification fails
> > >
> > > 4) read the page again (possibly reading a bit more new data)
> > >
> > > 5) the LSN did not change compared to the first read, yet the checksum
> > > still fails
> >
> > So, I agree with all of the above though I've found it to be extremely
> > rare to get a single read which you've managed to catch part-way through
> > a write, getting multiple of them over a period of time strikes me as
> > even more unlikely.  Still, if we can come up with a solution to solve
> > all of this, great, but I'm not sure that I'm hearing one.
>
> I don't recall claiming catching many such torn pages - I'm sure it's
> not very common in most workloads. But I suspect constructing workloads
> hitting them regularly is not very difficult either (something with a
> lot of churn in shared buffers should do the trick).

> > > Nope, we only verify the checksum if it's LSN precedes the checkpoint:
> > >
> > > https://github.com/postgres/postgres/blob/master/src/backend/replication/basebackup.c#L1454
> >
> > That seems like it's leaving something on the table, but, to be fair, we
> > know that all of those pages should be rewritten by WAL anyway so they
> > aren't all that interesting to us, particularly in the basebackup case.
>
> Yep.

Right, see point 1 above.

> > > I don't follow. Are you suggesting we don't need the checkpoint LSN?
> > >
> > > I'm pretty sure that's not the case. The thing is - the LSN may not
> > > change between the two reads, but that's not a guarantee the page was
> > > not torn. The example I posted earlier in this message illustrates that.
> >
> > I agree that there's some risk there, but it's certainly much less
> > likely.
>
> Well. If we're going to report a checksum failure, we better be sure it
> actually is a broken page. I don't want users to start chasing bogus
> data corruption issues.

I agree.

Are you suggesting here that we always check against the current
checkpoint, or is checking against the checkpoint that we saw at startup
enough? I think re-reading pg_control all the time might be more
errorprone that what we could get from this, so I would prefer not to do
this.

I don’t follow why rereading pg_control would be error-prone.  That said, I don’t have a particularly strong opinion either way on this.

> > > I think the pg_sleep() is a pretty strong sign there's something broken.
> > > At the very least, it's likely to misbehave on machines with different
> > > timings, machines under memory and/or memory pressure, etc.

I swapped out the pg_sleep earlier today for the check-against-
checkpoint-LSN-on-reread, and that seems to work just as fine, at least
in the tests I ran.

Ok, this sounds like you were probably seeing normal forward torn pages, and we have certainly seen that before.

> > If we assume that what you've outlined above is a serious enough issue
> > that we have to address it, and do so without a pg_sleep(), then I think
> > we have to bake into this a way for the process to check with PG as to
> > what the page's current LSN is, in shared buffers, because that's the
> > only place where we've got the locking required to ensure that we don't
> > end up with a read of a partially written page, and I'm really not
> > entirely convinced that we need to go to that level.  It'd certainly add
> > a huge amount of additional complexity for what appears to be a quite
> > unlikely gain.
> >
> > I'll chat w/ David shortly about this again though and get his thoughts
> > on it.  This is certainly an area we've spent time thinking about but
> > are obviously also open to finding a better solution.
>
> Why not to simply look at the last checkpoint LSN and use that the same
> way basebackup does? AFAICS that should make the pg_sleep() unnecessary.

Right.

This is fine if you know the kernel will always write the first page first, or you accept that a reread of a page which isn’t valid will always result in seeing a completely updated page.

We’ve made the assumption that a reread on a failure where the LSN on the first read was older than the backup-start LSN will give us an updated first-half of the page which we then check the LSN, of, but we have yet to prove that this is actually possible.

Thanks!

Stephen