Re: advocating LTS release and feature-train release cycles

От Zenaan Harkness
Тема Re: advocating LTS release and feature-train release cycles
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 6/2/15, Jan de Visser <jan@de-visser.net> wrote:
> On June 1, 2015 11:11:37 PM Arthur Silva wrote:
>> In my opinion a twice a year schedule would be good.
>> The LTS would be every 2 or 4 releases. Keeping 2 LTS versions supported
>> at
>> all moments.
>>
>> Maybe this should be reposted to the hackers list?
>
> Pretty sure this would be shot down pretty quick. At this point it seems
> more
> likely to me that the time between releases will be longer rather than
> shorter.

Really, that sounds like an excellent way to test such an alternative
- if pg development went to what every other major libre project does,
we would not have a proper comparison of the outcome for the
alternative (lengthening the release cycle, rather than shortening).

I know how I think it'll pan out - but personal opions matter little
here, only what the dev's choose.

Whatever the outcome, this will be a great experiment in the long run,
providing a data point we would be quite unlikely to have otherwise!

Regards,
Zenaan