Re: block-level incremental backup

От Jeevan Ladhe
Тема Re: block-level incremental backup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Robert,

On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 8:29 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 10:41 AM Jeevan Ladhe
<jeevan.ladhe@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Due to the inherent nature of pg_basebackup, the incremental backup also
> allows taking backup in tar and compressed format. But, pg_combinebackup
> does not understand how to restore this. I think we should either make
> pg_combinebackup support restoration of tar incremental backup or restrict
> taking the incremental backup in tar format until pg_combinebackup
> supports the restoration by making option '--lsn' and '-Ft' exclusive.
>
> It is arguable that one can take the incremental backup in tar format, extract
> that manually and then give the resultant directory as input to the
> pg_combinebackup, but I think that kills the purpose of having
> pg_combinebackup utility.

I don't agree. You're right that you would have to untar (and
uncompress) the backup to run pg_combinebackup, but you would also
have to do that to restore a non-incremental backup, so it doesn't
seem much different.

Thanks. Yes I agree about the similarity between restoring non-incremental
and incremental backup in this case.

 I don't think it's worth doing that at this point; I definitely don't think it
needs to be part of the first patch.

Makes sense.

Regards,
Jeevan Ladhe