Re: A better way than tweaking NTUP_PER_BUCKET

От Atri Sharma
Тема Re: A better way than tweaking NTUP_PER_BUCKET
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> Atri,
>
> * Atri Sharma (atri.jiit@gmail.com) wrote:
>> I just popped in here on Simon's advice to put an idea I had about
>> optimizing hash joins on this thread.
>
> I'd encourage reading the thread a bit first, in the future.. :)

Yeah, I actually read a bit(admitted, not much) of the above thread. I
was following it a bit as well.

> I suggested this up-thread already, but it's not really a bloom filter
> as there's only one hash function available- I can't see us requiring
> every data type to provide multiple hash functions.  Still, I do think
> breaking the single 32-bit hash key space up into fixed-sized chunks and
> then having a bitfield array which we test against (very similar to how
> the visibility map works) to see if there's any chance that a given hash
> key exists might be valuable.  The problem is that, because we don't
> have multiple hash functions, it's not clear how much "empty" space we'd
> actually end up with.

Agreed.

> We could have a bitfield filter (as I described above) created for each
> bucket and then test against that before considering if we actually have
> to go look in that bucket, yes.  I'm not sure if that's quite what you
> were thinking, but I can see how a bitfield per bucket might work.  If
> you were suggesting something else, please clarify.

Yeah, this is what I wanted.

My point is that I would like to help in the implementation, if possible. :)

Regards,

Atri

--
Regards,

Atri
l'apprenant

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Bloom Filter lookup for hash joins
От: Antonin Houska
Сообщение: Re: LATERAL quals revisited