Re: Graph datatype addition

От Atri Sharma
Тема Re: Graph datatype addition
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> This is an interesting idea.  Historically I've always decomposed
> graphs into relational structures because that's the only practical
> way to query them.   Graphs are not currently able to be transported
> out of the database currently via JSON so one of the areas to focus
> your research will be how the client will consume the data.
> libpqtypes is one way to do it, but that will really restrict you
> audience so you'll probably need a rich set of functions present the
> internal data (just like hstore).

I completely agree. Initially, I was thinking of exposing the data to
user via HStore. But now, after Robert's suggestions, I think it will
be better to have an alternate representation. JSON seems to be an
excellent idea for that.

I am thinking of having the functions for working on the graph present
inside the data type itself.

> Another area to focus research will be on searchability: how to use
> GIST/GIN indexes to pull data out via an internal query string. An
> overview of the current GIST based type implementations (like ltree)

I will definitely research that. Actually, I have never looked at
GIST/GIN code before, so I have no idea how they can be used here.

Regards,

Atri

--
Regards,