Re: Planner hints in Postgresql

От Atri Sharma
Тема Re: Planner hints in Postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 10:54 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Atri Sharma <atri.jiit@gmail.com> writes:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 9:45 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Possibly worth noting is that in past discussions, we've concluded that
>> the most sensible type of hint would not be "use this plan" at all, but
>> "here's what to assume about the selectivity of this WHERE clause".
>> That seems considerably less likely to break than any attempt to directly
>> specify plan details.

> Isnt using a user given value for selectivity a pretty risky situation as
> it can horribly screw up the plan selection?

And forcing a plan to be used *isn't* that?  Please re-read the older
threads, since you evidently have not.

I never said that we force a plan to be used. I just said that we should increase the preference for a user given plan and not interfere in the cost estimation of the other potential plans and the evaluation of the final selected plan.

Regards,

Atri

--
Regards,