Re: Planner hints in Postgresql

От Atri Sharma
Тема Re: Planner hints in Postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

The larger question to answer first is whether we want to implement
something that is deterministic...

How about just dropping the whole concept of "hinting" and provide a way for
someone to say "use this plan, or die trying."  Maybe require it be used in
conjunction with named PREPAREd statements:

You mean taking away the entire concept of query planning and cost estimation? Thats like replacing the optimizer with DBA decision and I am not at all comfortable with that idea. That are only my thoughts though.

PREPARE s1 (USING /path/to/plan_def_on_server_or_something_similar) AS
SELECT ...;

Aside from whole-plan specification I can definitely see where join/where
specification could be useful if it can overcome the current limitation of
not being able to calculate inter-table estimations.

Prepare plans use a generic plan for the execution. Replacing it with a totally user defined plan does not seem to be clean.

The crux is that IMHO planner hints are a bad way of trying to circumvent the need for cross-column statistics. We should do cross-column statistics done and ignore planner hints completely.

Regards,

Atri

--
Regards,