Re: ALTER TABLE lock strength reduction patch is unsafe

От Atri Sharma
Тема Re: ALTER TABLE lock strength reduction patch is unsafe
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

I'd really like to see us find a way to apply some version of this
patch.  I was in favor of the concept 3 years ago when we did this the
first time, and I've subsequently done quite a bit of work (viz., MVCC
catalog snapshots) to eliminate the main objection that was raised at
that time.  But it's really hard to reason about what might happen
with lowered lock levels, and convince yourself that there's
absolutely nothing that can ever go wrong.  I don't know what to do
about that tension, but I think even modest improvements in this area
stand to benefit an awful lot of users.

Wouldnt MVCC's strictness rules pose harder restrictions on pg_dump instead of relaxing them?

Regards,

Atri

--
Regards,