Re: Join push-down support for foreign tables

От Atri Sharma
Тема Re: Join push-down support for foreign tables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 2:20 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>>     I am thinking eventually we will need to cache the foreign server
>>     statistics on the local server.
>>
>> Wouldn't that lead to issues where the statistics get outdated and we have to
>> anyways query the foreign server before planning any joins? Or are you thinking
>> of dropping the foreign table statistics once the foreign join is complete?
>
> I am thinking we would eventually have to cache the statistics, then get
> some kind of invalidation message from the foreign server.  I am also
> thinking that cache would have to be global across all backends, I guess
> similar to our invalidation cache.

Maybe ... but I think this isn't really related to the ostensible
topic of this thread.  We can do join pushdown just fine without the
ability to do anything like this.

I'm in full agreement that we should probably have a way to cache some
kind of statistics locally, but making that work figures to be tricky,
because (as I'm pretty sure Tom has pointed out before) there's no
guarantee that the remote side's statistics look anything like
PostgreSQL statistics, and so we might not be able to easily store
them or make sense of them.  But it would be nice to at least have the
option to store such statistics if they do happen to be something we
can store and interpret.

I agree that we need local statistics too (full agreement to Bruce's proposal) but playing the Devil's advocate here and trying to figure how will things like invalidation and as you mentioned, cross compatibility work.

It's also coming to seem to me more and more that we need a way to
designate several PostgreSQL machines as a cooperating cluster.  This
would mean they'd keep connections to each other open and notify each
other about significant events, which could include "hey, I updated
the statistics on this table, you might want to get the new ones" or
"hey, i've replicated your definition for function X so it's safe to
push it down now" as well as "hey, I have just been promoted to be the
new master" or even automatic negotiation of which of a group of
machines should become the master after a server failure.

Thats a brilliant idea, and shouldnt be too much of a problem. One race condition that is possible is that multiple backend may try to globally propagate different statistics of the same table, but I think that any standard logical ordering algorithm should handle that. Also, the automatic master promotion seems like a brilliant idea and is also great since we have time tested standard algorithms for that.

One thing I would like to see is that assuming all the interacting nodes do not have identical schemas, if we can somehow maintain cross node statistics and use them for planning cross node joins. That would lead to similar problems as the ones already noted for having local statistics for foreign databases, but if we solve those anyways for storing local statistics, we could potentially look at having cross node relation statistics as well.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--