Re: Regarding parallel running of 9.1 and 9.2beta2

От Atri Sharma
Тема Re: Regarding parallel running of 9.1 and 9.2beta2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 2:02 PM, raghu ram <raghuchennuru@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 1:47 PM, Atri Sharma <atri.jiit@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running PostgreSQL 9.1 currently and I want to run 9.2beta2
>> simultaneously with it.Is it possible?
>>

> Yes, You can have multiple  PostgreSQL versions on same host.
>
>> I downloaded the 9.2beta2 sources,untared them and ran
>> ./configure,make and make install without uninstalling 9.1.
>

> ./configure --prefix=<new location of PostgreSQL 9.2 beta2 binaries>
>
> make
>
> make install
>
> <new location of PostgreSQL 9.2 beta2 binaries>/bin/initdb -D <new data
> directory location of 9.2beta2>
>
> modify "Port" number in postgresql.conf file located under  <new data
> directory location of 9.2beta2>
>
> <new location of PostgreSQL 9.2 beta2 binaries>/bin/pg_ctl -D <new data
> directory location of 9.2beta2> start
>

>> Now,when I am running pg_ctl start,I am getting the following error:
>>
>>  pg_ctl start
>> server starting
>> gitc@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ FATAL:  database files are incompatible with
>> server
>> DETAIL:  The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 9.1,
>> which is not compatible with this version 9.2beta2.
>>
>> Please help me.What should I be doing to recover from this error and
>> get back to 9.1?
>>

> Suspecting for this error message is, binaries upgraded upto 9.2beta2 &
> PostgreSQL instance running with PostgreSQL 9.1 binaries and again you are
> trying to start instance with pg_ctl of 9.2beta2 binary.
>

> --
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Raghu Ram

Hi Raghu,

Thanks for your reply.

I ran make install in my 9.1 directory again,and this time,the server
started but is giving errors in running the code which was running
earlier.Could you tell me a way in which I could remove both 9.1 and
9.2beta2 and build both from scratch and install them independently
this time?

Atri
--
Regards,