Re: advocating LTS release and feature-train release cycles

От Arthur Silva
Тема Re: advocating LTS release and feature-train release cycles
Дата
Re: advocating LTS release and feature-train release cycles  (Jan de Visser <jan@de-visser.net>)
Список pgsql-general

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 6:44 AM, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
My comments advocating a (ubuntu/debian/linux-kernel/firefox) LTS
release and feature-train release cycle:
https://lwn.net/Articles/646740/
https://lwn.net/Articles/646743/

The parent article "PostgreSQL: the good, the bad, and the ugly":
https://lwn.net/Articles/645020/

My summary (from one of my comments above):
"For PostgreSQL may be:
- normal release every 3 or 4 months
- LTS release every 12, 18 or 24 months

This model provides:
- higher frequency normal releases to
  a) showcase new features to the public and
  b) reduce pressure on developers wanting to not miss an "infrequent
annual" release; and

- lower frequency LTS releases to
  a) focus testing, stability and long term support resources
  b) satisfy "conservative/ enterprise" RDBMS admins
"

Regards,
Zenaan