Re: Direct SSL connection with ALPN and HBA rules

От Jacob Champion
Тема Re: Direct SSL connection with ALPN and HBA rules
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
(There's, uh, a lot to respond to above and I'm trying to figure out
how best to type up all of it.)

On Mon, May 13, 2024 at 9:13 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> However,
> I disagree with Jacob's assertion that sslmode=require has no security
> benefits over sslmode=prefer.

For the record, I didn't say that... You mean Jelte's quote up above?:

> sslmode=prefer and sslmode=require
> are the same amount of insecure imho (i.e. extremely insecure).

I agree that requiring passive security is tangibly better than
allowing fallback to plaintext. I think Jelte's point might be better
stated as, =prefer and =require give the same amount of protection
against active attack (none).

--Jacob