Re: BUG #15434: NUMERIC without any precision or scale truncatesscale to 16 digits

От Andrey
Тема Re: BUG #15434: NUMERIC without any precision or scale truncatesscale to 16 digits
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
вт, 16 окт. 2018 г. в 14:30, Andrew Gierth <andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk>:

 PG>  1800000000000000001::numeric / (10^18)::numeric truncated, --
 PG> truncates to 16 digits after decimal point

It has to truncate it _somewhere_, because otherwise 1::numeric / 3
would be infinitely long...

The choice that numeric division actually makes is to produce a result
with at least 16 significant figures, but also with at least as many
decimal places as the display scale of either of the inputs.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)

It looks like precision does matters.
man: "...up to the implementation limit on precision".
Why we don't want to decrease scale, but we decrease precision without any problems?

Regards,
Andrey L