Re: [GENERAL] Disabling inheritance with query.

От Edmundo Robles
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Disabling inheritance with query.
Дата
Re: [GENERAL] Disabling inheritance with query.
Список pgsql-general
I want to do that because,  I have  a  partitioned table  (big_table)  and others  (t1,t2,t3,t4)  have  foreign keys  reference to big_table  and i had many trobules at insert data, reading the doc:
"A serious limitation of the inheritance feature is that indexes (including unique constraints) and foreign key constraints only apply to single tables, not to their inheritance children. "

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Edmundo Robles <edmundo@sw-argos.com> writes:
> i need  disable  inheritance  from many tables in a query like
> "delete from pg_inherits where inhparent=20473"  instead alter table ...
> but  is safe?   which is the risk for  database if  i  delete it?

This seems really dangerous.  You're certainly missing the pg_depend
linkages, not to mention attribute inheritance counts in pg_attribute,
and there may be other things I'm not remembering offhand.

Why can't you use the normal ALTER TABLE approach?