Re: Cancelling of autovacuums considered harmful

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Cancelling of autovacuums considered harmful
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Scott Marlowe escribió:
>> As some of you folks know I work on some pretty beefy machines. Some
>> of these machines don't see rest for months or days on end. And
>> autovacuum keeps cancelling. I set it more aggressive, it still never
>> finishes.
>
> No matter how heavily updated, regular activity should not cause
> autovacuum kills.  Only heavier operations would do that (say ALTER
> TABLE, etc).

Is there any logging of what killed the autovac available? I've looked
and not seen anything (currently on 8.4 moving to 9.2 soon.)

>> We've now had to schedule manual vacuums because autovac never
>> finishes on large heavily updated tables.
>
>> Is there some way to turn off the cancelling of autovacuums?
>
> I don't think we have a setting for that.

Well it looks like it's slony 1.2 doing it. I'm gonna turn off autovac
on the slony tables and see if it stops.