Re: psql connection option: statement_timeout

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: psql connection option: statement_timeout
Дата
Re: psql connection option: statement_timeout  (Craig Boyd <craig@mysoftforge.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 5:15 PM, Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 6:54 PM, Craig Boyd <craig@mysoftforge.com> wrote:
Hello All,

I am something of a newbie and I am trying to understand how to pass connection options using the psql client.  My understanding is that it is possible to do this as part of the psql connection event.
I am on Mint and my PostgreSQL Server version = 9.3.13.

I am trying to connect to an instance on a different machine (also 9.3.13).
The following works:
psql -U username -h 192.x.x.x <enter>

But when I try to set the statement like this it fails:
psql -U username -h 192.x.x.x statement_timeout=1000

I get the following "invalid connection option"  I am less concerned with actually setting this parameter than I am learning how to pass or set connection options when I log in.  If it is a case where this particular option cannot be set as part of the connection string that is fine.  But that leads me to ask what options can I set as part of the connection string?
I have looked here:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/app-psql.html
and here:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/runtime-config-client.html

I suspect I am close, but I can't seem to figure out where I am going awry.
Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.I suspect what you want is connect_timeout

ie: psql -U username -h 192.x.x.x connect_timeout=1000
However, if you truly want to set statement_timeout, that cannot be set at the command line. You must execute that AFTER you connect.
ie: # SET statement_timeout = 1000;

You can also place multiple commands inside a file and then execute that after you connect.
eg: # \i your_filename.sql

Also you can set such things as statement_timeout in the postgresql.conf, or set them by database or by user / role.

alter user reporting set statement_timemout=60 is handy for users that should never take a long time to connect.

Note that the connect_timeout is a connection time setting, for how long to attempt a connection to be made, not for how long to hold it while idle.

Сообщение: Re: psql connection option: statement_timeout
Сообщение: Re: psql connection option: statement_timeout