Re: Index on integer or on string field

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Index on integer or on string field
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 9:18 AM, Job <Job@colliniconsulting.it> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i have a table of about 10 millions of records, with the index on a string field.
> Actually is alphabetical; since queries are about 100/200 per seconds, i was looking for a better way to improve
performanceand reduce workload.

> The unique values, of that fields, are about the 50 (category name), and we could create a second table to codify,
withnumerical integer values, the 50 recurring names.

> Is index are integer and not characteral, performance are better and workload reduces?
>
> Is there any comparisons?

Have you considered using a multi-column index here? if there's a more
selective field you could index along with your rather non-selective
one that might work better. But it's hard to tell without looking at
you database usage etc.

От: William Dunn
Сообщение: Re: R: Index on integer or on string field
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: pg_upgrade failing from 9.3 to 9.4 because "template0" already exists