Re: [GENERAL] Up to date conventional wisdom re max shared_buffer size?

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Up to date conventional wisdom re max shared_buffer size?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Jerry Sievers <gsievers19@comcast.net> wrote:
> Briefly, just curious if legacy max values for shared_buffers have
> scaled up since 8G was like 25% of RAM?
>
> Pg 9.3 on monster 2T/192 CPU Xenial thrashing
>
> Upgrade pending but we recently started having $interesting performance
> issues at times looking like I/O slowness and other times apparently
> causing CPU spins.

Have you looked at things like zone reclaim mode and transparent huge
pages? Both of those can cause odd problems. Also it's usually a good
idea to turn off swap as the linux kernel, presented with lots of ram
and a small (by comparison) swap file sometimes makes bad life choices
and starts using swap for things like storing currently unused shared
buffers or something.