Re: PG migration policy

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: PG migration policy
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 11:30 PM, Allan Kamau <kamauallan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> This is definitely off topic, I apologize.
> We are planning to move our PostgreSQL installation from a shared
> server to a dedicated server. I have been given the responsibility of
> writing a migration policy document for this operation. This would be
> my first such document to put together,
> I am looking for pointers, samples and so on on which to build this
> document for our scenario.

Assuming you've tested ahead of time, the real question is how much
down time can you afford?

If you can afford hours or more of downtime, a dump and restore if the
easiest way.

If you need to keep your down time to a minimum, then look at using
some form of replication and switching from master to slave once the
slave is caught up.