recovery_command has precedence over phisical slots?

От Giovanni Biscontini
Тема recovery_command has precedence over phisical slots?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello everyone,
I'm experiencing a behaviour I don't really understand if is a misconfiguration or a wanted behaviour:
1) I set up a primary server (a.k.a. db1) with and archive_command to a storage
2) I set up a replica (a.k.a. db2) that created a slot named as slot_2 and that has the recovery_command set to read archived wal on the storage.
If I shutdown replica db2 during a pgbench I see the safe_wal_size queried from pg_replication_slots on the primary decrease to a certain amount but still in the max_slot_wal_kepp_size window: even if I restart the replica db2 before the slot_state changes to unreserved or lost I see that the replica gets needed wals from the storage using recovery_command but doesn't use slot on primary.
Only if I comment the recovery command on the .conf of the replica then it uses slot.
If this is a wanted behaviour I can't understand the need of slots on primary.
Hopin' could someone explain me, thanks in advance, Giovanni