Re: [HACKERS] statement_timeout is not working as expected with postgres_fdw

От Rafia Sabih
Тема Re: [HACKERS] statement_timeout is not working as expected with postgres_fdw
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 9:39 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 11:54 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm having second thoughts based on some more experimentation I did
>> this morning.  I'll update again once I've had a bit more time to poke
>> at it.
>
> So the issue that I noticed here is that this problem really isn't
> confined to abort processing.  If we ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT or ABORT
> TRANSACTION on an open connection, we really do not know what the
> state of that connection is until we get an acknowledgement that the
> command completed successfully.  The patch handles that.  However, the
> same is true if we're sending a SAVEPOINT or RELEASE SAVEPOINT
> command, and the patch that I posted doesn't do anything about those
> cases.  I think it would be best to fix all transaction control
> commands in a symmetric manner.
>
> Concretely, I think we should replace the abort_cleanup_incomplete
> flag from my previous patch with a changing_xact_state flag and set
> that flag around all transaction state changes, clearing it when such
> changes have succeeded.  On error, the flag remains set, so we know
> that the state of that connection is unknown and that we must close it
> (killing outer transaction levels as needed).
>
> Thoughts?

I tried following the sketch stated above, and here's what I added to
v2 of the patch. In begin_remote_xact when savepoint is send to the
remote server through do_sql_command I set the changing_xact_state
flag and when it successfully returns from there the flag is unset.
Similar behaviour is followed in pgfdw_subxact_callback for release
savepoint. Additionally, I added this flag set-unset for start
transaction command in begin_remote_xact. Enlighten me if I've
msised/misunderstood something here. I ran the regress test for
postgres_fdw and it went on fine.

I have a couple of concerns here, since there is only flag required
for the purpose, it's  name to be changing_xact_state doesn't suit at
some places particularly in pgfdw_subxact_callback, not sure should
change comment or variable name

/* Disarm abort_cleanup_incomplete if it all worked. */
+ entry->changing_xact_state = abort_cleanup_failure;

Also, by any chance should we add a test-case for this?

--
Regards,
Rafia Sabih