Re: [HACKERS] Partition-wise join for join between (declaratively)partitioned tables

От Rafia Sabih
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Partition-wise join for join between (declaratively)partitioned tables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> Rafia Sabih wrote:
>
>> On completing the benchmark for all queries for the above mentioned
>> setup, following performance improvement can be seen,
>> Query | Patch | Head
>> 3  | 1455  |  1631
>> 4  |  499  |  4344
>> 5  |  1464  |  1606
>> 10  |  1475  |  1599
>> 12  |  1465  |  1790
>>
>> Note that all values of execution time are in seconds.
>> To summarise, apart from Q4, all other queries are showing somewhat
>> 10-20% improvement.
>
> Saving 90% of time on the slowest query looks like a worthy improvement
> on its own right.  However, you're reporting execution time only, right?
> What happens to planning time?  In a quick look,

Definitely. The planning time issue has been discussed upthread,

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Rafia Sabih
<rafia.sabih@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> Another minor thing to note that is planning time is almost twice with
> this patch, though I understand that this is for scenarios with really
> big 'big data' so this may not be a serious issue in such cases, but
> it'd be good if we can keep an eye on this that it doesn't exceed the
> computational bounds for a really large number of tables..

To which Robert replied as,

Yes, this is definitely going to use significant additional planning
time and memory.  There are several possible strategies for improving
that situation, but I think we need to get the basics in place first.
That's why the proposal is now to have this turned off by default.
People joining really big tables that happen to be equipartitioned are
likely to want to turn it on, though, even before those optimizations
are done.

--
Regards,
Rafia Sabih