Re: postgresql rookie needs help with system catalog

От Keith Fiske
Тема Re: postgresql rookie needs help with system catalog
Дата
Список pgsql-novice

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 9:56 AM barry kimelman <perlmaster56@gmail.com> wrote:
I am trying to come up with a query of the system catalog tables to give me the same info as the psql command "\d tablename"

so far I have come up with the following query
  1 SELECT
  2        a.attname as "Column",
  3        pg_catalog.format_type(a.atttypid, a.atttypmod) as "Datatype"
  4    FROM
  5        pg_catalog.pg_attribute a
  6    WHERE
  7        a.attnum > 0
  8        AND NOT a.attisdropped
  9        AND a.attrelid = (
 10            SELECT c.oid
 11            FROM pg_catalog.pg_class c
 12                LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_namespace n ON n.oid = c.relnamespace
 13            WHERE c.relname = 'laptop'
 14                AND pg_catalog.pg_table_is_visible(c.oid)
 15        );

which yields the following result

    Column     |        Datatype
---------------+------------------------
 id            | integer
 name          | character varying(250)
 price         | double precision
 purchase_date | date
(4 rows)

But how do I get the Collation and Nullable and Default values displayed by the "psql \d" command ?

Thanks.
--

Barrry Kimelman
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

You can turn the ECHO_HIDDEN flag on in psql. This will show the underlying queries that run whenever you do any of the \d psql commands. They're often more complex than you expect, but definitely helps you with learning the system catalogs as you're trying to do here

Just type the following in psql, and your next \d commands will also show a bunch of additional details. Can either log off or set this back to "off" to disable it.

\set ECHO_HIDDEN on

--
Keith Fiske
Senior Database Engineer