Querying w/ join slow for large/many child tables

От Wells Oliver
Тема Querying w/ join slow for large/many child tables
Дата
Re: Querying w/ join slow for large/many child tables  (Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
I have a primary parent table with a child table per week of the year for each week back through 2015. There are a lot of child tables. Each week's child table has maybe  80-110m rows.

When I join to the parent table on a column, it's very slow, but when I manually specify the specific week's child table, it's quite fast, e.g.

Slow:
select * from foo
join schema.mytable on foo.col = mytable.col

vs. fast:
select * from foo
join schema.mytable_2015_wk33 as mytable on foo.col = mytable.col

What's the resolution to make querying the table faster in terms of it finding the appropriate child table? Is it putting an index on `col` on each child table? Some other thing?

Thank you.