Re: The unused_oids script should have a reminder to use the8000-8999 OID range

От Julien Rouhaud
Тема Re: The unused_oids script should have a reminder to use the8000-8999 OID range
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Le ven. 2 août 2019 à 20:12, Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> a écrit :
On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 1:42 AM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:
> Trivial patch for that attached.

Thanks!

> The output is now like:
>
> [...]
> Using an oid in the 8000-9999 range is recommended.
> For instance: 9427
>
> (checking that the suggested random oid is not used yet.)

I've taken your patch, and changed the wording a bit. I think that
it's worth being a bit more explicit. The attached revision produces
output that looks like this:

Patches should use a more-or-less consecutive range of OIDs.
Best practice is to make a random choice in the range 8000-9999.
Suggested random unused OID: 9099

I would like to push this patch shortly. How do people feel about this
wording? (It's based on the documentation added by commit a6417078.)

I'm fine with it!