Re: Feature improvement: can we add queryId for pg_catalog.pg_stat_activity view?

От Julien Rouhaud
Тема Re: Feature improvement: can we add queryId for pg_catalog.pg_stat_activity view?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 10:18 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct  5, 2020 at 07:58:42PM -0300, Álvaro Herrera wrote:
> > On 2020-Oct-05, Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > > FWIW, I think this proposal is a mess.  I was willing to hold my nose
> > > and have a queryId field in the internal Query struct without any solid
> > > consensus about what its semantics are and which extensions get to use it.
> > > Exposing it to end users seems like a bridge too far, though.  In
> > > particular, I'm afraid that that will cause people to expect it to have
> > > consistent values across PG versions, or even just across architectures
> > > within one version.
> >
> > I wonder if it would help to purposefully change the computation so that
> > it is not -- for instance, hash the system_identifier as initial value.
> > Then users would be forced to accept that it'll change as soon as it
> > migrates to another server or is upgraded to a new major version.
>
> That seems like a good idea, but it would prevent cross-cluster
> same-major-version comparisons, which seems like a negative.  Perhaps we
> should add the major version into the hash to handle this.  Ideally,
> let's just put a queryid-hash-version into to the hash, so if we change
> the computation, we just update the hash version and nothing matches
> anymore.
>
> I do think the queryid has to display independent of pg_stat_statements,
> because I can see people using queryid for log file and pg_stat_activity
> comparisons.  I also think the ability to have queryid accessible is an
> important feature outside of pg_stat_statements, so I do think we need a
> way to move this idea forward.

For the record, for now any extension can compute a queryid and there
are at least 2 other published extensions that already do that, one of
them having different semantics on how to compute the queryid.  I'm
not sure that we'll ever get a consensus on those semantics due to
performance tradeoff, so removing the ability to let people put their
own code for that doesn't seem like the best way forward.

Maybe we could add a new hook for only queryid computation, and add a
GUC to let people choose between no queryid computed, core computation
(current pg_stat_statement) and 3rd party plugin?