Re: track_planning causing performance regression

От Julien Rouhaud
Тема Re: track_planning causing performance regression
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 1:14 PM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:

> On 2020/06/29 18:56, Fujii Masao wrote:
> >

> > On 2020/06/29 18:53, Julien Rouhaud wrote:

> >> A POC patch should be easy to do and see how much it solves this
> >> problem.  However I'm not able to reproduce the issue, and IMHO unless
> >> we specifically want to be able to distinguish planner-time counters
> >> from execution-time counters, I'd prefer to disable track_planning by
> >> default than going this way, so that users with a sane usage won't
> >> have to suffer from a memory increase.
> >
> > Agreed. +1 to change that default to off.
>
> Attached patch does this.

Patch looks good to me.

> I also add the following into the description about each *_plan_time column
> in the docs. IMO this is helpful for users when they see that those columns
> report zero by default and try to understand why.
>
> (if <varname>pg_stat_statements.track_planning</varname> is enabled, otherwise zero)

+1

Do you intend to wait for other input before pushing?  FWIW I'm still
not convinced that the exposed problem is representative of any
realistic workload.  I of course entirely agree with the other
documentation changes.