Re: Patch abstracts in the Commitfest app

От Julien Rouhaud
Тема Re: Patch abstracts in the Commitfest app
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 8:51 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:

> While reading through and working with the hundreds of patches in the CF app a
> small feature/process request struck me: it would be really helpful if the
> patch had a brief abstract outlining what it aims to add or fix (or summary,
> description or something else; not sure what to call it).  Basically a
> two-sentence or so version of the email posting the patch to -hackers.
>
> The "title" field isn't always explanatory enough, and diving into a long
> thread to piece together clues can be quite daunting.  I'm especially thinking
> about new contributors who would like to contribute but who have a hard time
> finding something in the CF app (which is a complaint I've heard from multiple
> such contributors).
>
> It should be a free-form textfield, and only apply to new submissions to avoid
> a need to backfill.  The field should, IMHO, be mandatory.  The implementation
> can be left to discussion on -www iff this list agrees that it would be a good
> thing.

+1 for the idea.  Not sure if that should be mandatory though, as some
simple entries should be self explanatory.   Really this is mainly
helpful for long and lengthy threads, when people start to ask a
summary of the situation, so it should be editable and maybe
automatically generates an email on the thread when that happens.