Re: Planning counters in pg_stat_statements (using pgss_store)

От Julien Rouhaud
Тема Re: Planning counters in pg_stat_statements (using pgss_store)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 9:27 PM legrand legrand
<legrand_legrand@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> If we can store the plan for each statement, e.g., like pg_store_plans
> >> extension [1] does, rather than such partial information, which would
> >> be enough for your cases?
>
> > That'd definitely address way more use cases.  Do you know if some
> > benchmark were done to see how much overhead such an extension adds?
>
> Hi Julien,
> Did you asked about how overhead Auto Explain adds ?

Well, yes but on the other hand auto_explain is by design definitely
not something intended to trace all queries in an OLTP environment,
but rather configured to catch only some long running queries, so in
such cases the overhead is quite negligible.

> The only extension that was proposing to store plans with a decent planid
> calculation was pg_stat_plans that is not compatible any more with recent
> pg versions for years.

Ah I see.  AFAICT it's mainly missing the new node changes, but the
approach should otherwise still work smoothly.

Did you do some benchmark to compare this extension with the other
alternatives? Assuming that there's postgres version compatible with
all the extensions of course.

> We all know here that pg_store_plans, pg_show_plans, (my) pg_stat_sql_plans
> use ExplainPrintPlan through Executor Hook, and that Explain is slow ...
>
> Explain is slow because it was not designed for performances:
> 1/ colname_is_unique
> see
> https://www.postgresql-archive.org/Re-Explain-is-slow-with-tables-having-many-columns-td6047284.html
>
> 2/ hash_create from set_rtable_names
> Look with perf top about
>    do $$ declare i int; begin for i in 1..1000000 loop execute 'explain
> select 1'; end loop end; $$;
>
> I may propose a "minimal" explain that only display explain's backbone and
> is much faster
> see
> https://github.com/legrandlegrand/pg_stat_sql_plans/blob/perf-explain/pgssp_explain.c
>
> 3/ All those extensions rebuild the explain output even with cached plan
> queries ...
>  a way to optimize this would be to build a planid during planning (using
> associated hook)
>
> 4/ All thoses extensions try to rebuild the explain plan even for trivial
> queries/plans
> like "select 1" or " insert into t values (,,,)" and that's not great for
> high transactional
> applications ...
>
> So yes, pg_store_plans is one of the short term answers to Andy Fan needs,
> the answer for the long term would be to help extensions to build planid and
> store plans,
> by **adding a planid field in plannedstmt memory structure ** and/or
> optimizing explain command;o)

I'd be in favor of adding a planid and using the same approach as
pg_store_plans.