Re: Upgrade questions

От Carson Gross
Тема Re: Upgrade questions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tim,

Commando.  I like it.  Thanks a ton for that suggestion.  I'd still like to hear if anyone has a good way to estimate the performance of these operations, but I'll explore what it would mean to do exactly that.

John: thankfully this is a table without any fks in, although it is indexed to hell.  I was concerned about the speed of updating the indexes, but with Tim's suggestion we could recalculate everything in the background.

We are also considering sharding the table and maybe the right thing is to simply fix it when we do the sharding.

Thanks for the tips guys,
Carson

P.S. A side question: this table of ours is under a fairly constant insert load, and is read infrequently but rather violently (e.g. a group by over, say 1-10k rows.)  Is that a bad access pattern?