Re: Poor performance after restoring database from snapshot on AWS RDS

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: Poor performance after restoring database from snapshot on AWS RDS
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Jun 7, 2024 at 4:36 AM Sam Kidman <sam@fresho.com> wrote:
> This is due to the way that RDS restores snapshots.

Thanks, I never would have guessed. Would vacuum analyze be sufficient
to defeat the lazy loading or would we need to do something more
specific to our application? (for example. select(*) on some commonly
used tables)

pg_prewarm is probably what you want.  Don't know if RDS Postgresql supports it or not, though.

I think vacuum full would certainly defeat the lazy loading since it
would copy all of the table data, but that may take a very long time
to run. I think vacuum analyze only scans a subset of rows but I might
be wrong about that.

Best, Sam