Re: Fixed RM #1356

От Akshay Joshi
Тема Re: Fixed RM #1356
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
Hi Dave

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 6:48 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 1:43 PM, Akshay Joshi <akshay.joshi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 6:09 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 1:34 PM, Akshay Joshi <akshay.joshi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 5:47 PM, Khushboo Vashi <khushboo.vashi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 5:07 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 12:19 PM, Khushboo Vashi <khushboo.vashi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 4:42 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 12:04 PM, Akshay Joshi <akshay.joshi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Hi Dave

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 2:42 PM, Akshay Joshi <akshay.joshi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 2:35 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Thanks, patch applied.

However, whilst I was testing, I saw just how slow the tool is:

SELECT * FROM pg_attribute

In a PEM database, returns 8150 rows. In pgAdmin 3, this is timed at 676ms on my laptop. In pgAdmin 4, the busy spinner runs for approx 5 seconds, then the whole UI freezes. I then have to wait a further 3 minutes and 46 seconds(!!!!) for the operation to complete. Once loaded, scrolling is very sluggish.

Please make this your top priority - and if you have incremental improvements, send them as you have them.

   Sure.

      Below is my initial finding while running "SELECT * FROM pg_attribute" on PEM database, returns 8498 rows:
  • Fetching data from the server side took consistent time and it took 3-4 secs.
  • Create/Render Backgrid without pagination : 1 minute
  • Create/Render Backgrid with pagination (50 items per page):  469ms
  • Create/Render Backgrid with pagination (500 items per page): 3 secs
  • Create/Render Backgrid with pagination (1000 items per page): 6 secs
  • Create/Render Backgrid with pagination (3000 items per page): 22 secs
  • Create/Render Backgrid with pagination (5000 items per page): 36 secs

OK, so I guess diving into Backgrid is the next step. Are there any profiling tools that could be used?

Can we use infinity scrolling in case of no pagination?

How would add row work then?

Yeah, in this case user has to wait till the last record to load. :(

    This seems to be the good option.

No - please see my previous comment.

    We can add/paste row as top row of the backgrid. In that case will it be fine?

It's a hack, it doesn't solve the underlying problem. The fact that it took 4 minutes to load 8000 rows on my top-of-the-range MacBook Pro is not good.

   I have tried to fix the issue, but unable to figure out any way to do it .  I have tried following options
  • Same issue found here https://github.com/wyuenho/backgrid/issues/126  Which will be fixed https://github.com/wyuenho/backgrid/pull/444. I have copied the backgrid.js and backgrid.css from "perf" branch replace it in our code, but faced so many error's and warning, fixed those but some how data is not rendered.
  • Another approach is instead of adding all the records to the backbone collection at once, I have added them in chunk of 500 records at a time and sleep for 500ms, in this case busy spinner won't run for a longer time as first 500 records gets rendered, but browser again goes into unresponsive state as CPU goes up to 98-99%.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company