Re: [pgAdmin4] [Patch] Implementation of the Data Grid and Query Tool

От Akshay Joshi
Тема Re: [pgAdmin4] [Patch] Implementation of the Data Grid and Query Tool
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
Hi

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 6:01 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Hi

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 10:07 AM, Akshay Joshi <akshay.joshi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

- The View Data menu option should be on the Object menu

   OK.

, which should mirror the Context menu, except options should be disabled when not applicable instead of hidden.

     Context menu code is generic code, to do this we need to change that code and it impacts other menu items like (Connect/Disconnect server, Connect/Disconnect Database etc ...)

I think you misunderstand. The Context menu is fine - but options that are on it, should also be on the main "Object" menu. The difference is that where options are hidden on the context menu, they should be disabled on the object menu.

    The same behaviour I have already added in "Tools" menu, so you want me to shift that menu from "Tools" to "Object"??

- The Query Tool menu icon should be a glyphicon, to match the others.

   There is no glyphicon available which match the Query Tool icon. I have found one like below which is "database-search" or can you please suggest some other icon.
       Inline image 1

That one looks perfect.

- Please merge the functionality of the Refresh and Execute buttons into one button. We shouldn't have two buttons that do essentially the same thing.

    I have modified the button toolbar, we will show buttons on the toolbar specific to the module (QueryTool/EditGrid). Please refer the attached screenshots (QueryTool and EditGrid).

No - please leave all buttons visible in either mode, but disable them as appropriate. Then, merge the execute/refresh buttons into one.

    In that case we will have to use either refresh icon or execute icon (play button) or any other, as a user's perspective it's not good to have play button works as "Refresh" in EG mode or refresh button works as "Execute" in QT mode.

The reason for doing it this way is that eventually we will add query parsing support to the client so that we can start enabling some of the Edit Grid features when running in Query Tool mode - e.g. if a Query Tool authored query is determined to be updatable, we can enable buttons like "Add Row", "Save" etc.

    OK.

- In Edit Grid mode, the History panel should log all queries (SELECTs, UPDATEs, DELETEs etc) as it would in the Query Tool.

- In Edit Grid mode, the Messages panel should display any messages from the most recent action  as it would in the Query Tool.

   OK.

Thanks.

- Please add an SQL button. This should show/hide the SQL panel in *both* Query Tool and Edit Grid modes. In Edit Grid mode, that textbox should be read-only, but should display the SQL used (including any LIMIT/FILTER clauses)

    I think we don't need an SQL button, because I have added a Splitter to split SQL panel and Output Panel, so user can any time resize the SQL/Output panel. Please refer the attached screenshots (QueryTool and EditGrid).

Right, but I'd also like to be able to hide it entirely (which would be the default in Edit Grid mode).

    To achieve this we need to hide the top half of the splitter, that I am not sure how we can do that. We can't remove the splitter, because it provide's ease to user to expand the SQL panel for reading the long SQL queries/functions.

- Please remove the border from the SQL box, such that it fills all available space.

   Done. Please refer the attached screenshots (QueryTool and EditGrid).

- The Filter box should be in a modal overlay over the top of the SQL box/Results tabs as required. Those elements should be grayed whilst it is open.

   Done. Please refer the attached screenshot (Filter).

Cool.

- Please adjust the height of the Delete icon in the Edit Grid, such that it doesn't force the row height to be higher than it should be.

   OK.

- If a field has been edited, but not saved, can we highlight it somehow? Maybe make the text dark blue?

   OK, not sure right now but will try.

- I think the names of the tabs are far too long. Can we change them to "Query 1", "Query 2" etc, then rename them to the filename if the user saves/loads a file?

   I personally feel it's been difficult for user to identify the tab if we will give names like "Query 1" . What we can do in case of edit grid we will only show the servername-objectname (remove database and schema) or only objectname, and in case of query tool we will show servername-databasename. What do you think?

I think they're all ambiguous enough to not be useful for many users :-( - plus the tabs are so long, they look awful.

We should perhaps add a small panel (below the toolbar?) that shows Server -> Database in QT mode, and Server -> Database -> Schema -> Table/View in EG mode.

    OK.

- Ashesh and I discussed changing the History tab to be a grid, showing: Date/Time, Query (first line only), Rows affected, Runtime and Status, in a row per query executed. Ashesh suggested using a sub-form that can be expanded for each row, which could show the full query and error details (SQL State etc). New rows should be added to the top of the list.

- We should add an "Edit" button, which opens a drop-down menu. This would eventually include options as found on the Edit menu in the pgAdmin3 query tool, such as the "Clear SQL" option.

- Errors should be highlighted in the SQL box - a marker in the margin to note the line, and spellcheck-style underlining for the error word.

    OK.

- Query results should have spaces converted to "&nbsp;", so that proper indenting is maintained (for example, on EXPLAIN queries).

    Instead of converting spaces to "&nbsp;" we can have css style "white-space: pre-wrap;". I have tested it and works fine.

- The "Add Row" button only works if you're on the last page of the resultset.

   OK.

- Can the "Copy Row" button also populate the clipboard with CSV data for the row?

   This required some research, not sure at the moment.

- In Edit mode, we need to be able to represent/set values to NULL.

   This will be taken care as part of multi-type rendering task.

OK.

- If I shutdown my pgAdmin server, then execute a query, I get no error, 0 rows displayed, and a message in the messages panel saying:

Total query runtime: 46 msec
3 rows retrieved.

If I restart the server, the query will execute correctly, however I should see appropriate messages when it's not running.

- The layout of the result tabs should be maintained if new Query Tool or Edit Grid tabs are opened.

   OK.

Cool - thanks!

--
Dave Page