Re: Improved Cost Calculation for IndexOnlyScan

От Hamid Akhtar
Тема Re: Improved Cost Calculation for IndexOnlyScan
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 2:57 PM Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
On 29/09/2020 11:49, Hamid Akhtar wrote:
> So, not actually random replacement here, rather a change with
> baserel->allvisfrac taken into consideration (as given below):
> ----
> index_random_page_cost = Min(spc_seq_page_cost + spc_random_page_cost *
> (1.0 - baserel->allvisfrac), spc_random_page_cost);
> ----
>
> Does this make sense?

No. genericcostestimate() is only concerned with accesses to the index,
not the the heap accesses that are needed with Index Scans. 'allvisfrac'
should not affect the number of *index* pages fetched in any way.

- Heikki

Currently, the costing for indexonlyscan only differs based on 'allvisfrac'. IIUC, the current implementation changes the number of pages being fetched based on 'allvisfrac'.

This patch actually makes indexonlyscan specific changes to genericcostestimate function. Currently, regardless of the value of 'allvisfrac', it is being assumed that the cost of fetching index pages is random page cost. That is not aligned with the current cost calculation for indexonlyscan. Therefore, I'm suggesting to reduce the random page in a similar fashion in case of indexonlyscan.

I'm adding this to the commitfest.

--
Highgo Software (Canada/China/Pakistan)
ADDR: 10318 WHALLEY BLVD, Surrey, BC