Re: Converting char to varchar automatically

От Melvin Davidson
Тема Re: Converting char to varchar automatically
Дата
Список pgsql-general
There really is no easy way to make a single ALTER for each table unless you use a programming language. However, adding a
GROUP BY c.relname,
                  a.attname

would certainly simplify editing. Then you can combine all the
ALTER COLUMN's for each table.

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 6:21 PM, Andrus <kobruleht2@hot.ee> wrote:
Hi!

Thank you.

>This revised query should give you what you need:
>SELECT 'ALTER TABLE ' || quote_ident(n.nspname) || '.'
>            || quote_ident(c.relname)
>            || ' ALTER COLUMN ' || quote_ident(a.attname) || ' TYPE varchar(' || i.character_maximum_length || ');'
>  FROM pg_class c
>    JOIN pg_namespace n ON n.oid = c.relnamespace
>    JOIN pg_attribute a ON a.attrelid = c.oid
>    JOIN pg_type t ON t.oid = a.atttypid
>    JOIN information_schema.columns i ON (i.table_name = c.relname AND i.column_name = a.attname)
>WHERE t.typname = 'bpchar'
>   AND c.relkind = 'r'
>   AND n.nspname <> 'pg_catalog' and not attisdropped;

How to create single alter table command for every table ?
Can we use string concat aggregate function or window functions or plpgsql or something other ?

Andrus.

--
Melvin Davidson