Re: Processing data from table using awk.

От Melvin Davidson
Тема Re: Processing data from table using awk.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Your best bet is something like

#!/bin/bash

get_data ()
{
QRY=$(psql $HOST $PORT $USER $DBNAME <<_QUERY_

\o your_output_file
SELECT col1, col2, ...., coln
  FROM your_table
WHERE <blah>;

_QUERY_

)
}

awk <blah> your_table

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 10:04 AM, John McKown <john.archie.mckown@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm wanting to do some reporting on data which I have an a PostgreSQL table. For lack of anything better, I've decided to see if I can do it in GNU awk. OK, using Perl with DBI might be a better idea, I'll grant you that. Or maybe Python or Ruby (which I don't know). But out of shear cussedness, I'm going to see what I can do in gawk. What I don't see is a way to get the data out of PostgreSQL and into my awk program. Does anybody know of a way to do this, short of "cheating" by using psql? Yes, I know that I could do something like (BASH on Linux/Fedora 22 x86_64):

awk -f some-program.awk <(echo 'SELECT a, b, c, d FROM schema.table ORDER BY a' | psql dbname)

What I was hoping for was a "Dynamic Extension" (dll) which would allow "native" use of PostgreSQL, or may ODBC. But I haven't found any. Have I missed anything? If I were to create such a beastie, would it be of any use to others? I guess, in this, I'm wondering what "report writer" most are using when psql just doesn't have sufficient capability.

Yeah, sometimes I'm just plain stupid & pig headed. But then it will be a "leaning experience" (with associated scars, I'm sure).

--

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted.

Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

--
Melvin Davidson