Re: Issue with to_timestamp function

От Melvin Davidson
Тема Re: Issue with to_timestamp function
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I suspect your data is not what you think it is.
What do you see when you do

SELECT ts FROM from sql_log_import LIMIT 3;

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 4:52 PM, Lou Oquin <LOquin@nammotalley.com> wrote:

I’ve imported a csv export of an MS SQL Server log file into a staging table on my local install of Postgresql (9.3/UTF8 encoding) for analysis.

The staging table definition is:

CREATE TABLE sql_log_import

(

  id serial NOT NULL,

  ts text, -- will convert to ts when merging into sql_server_logs

  source character varying(30),

  severity character varying(20),

  message text,

  CONSTRAINT sql_log_import_pk PRIMARY KEY (id)

)

WITH (

  OIDS=FALSE

);

ALTER TABLE sql_log_import

  OWNER TO postgres;

COMMENT ON COLUMN sql_log_import.ts IS 'will convert to ts when merging into sql_server_logs';

Here’s a copy of the first few lines of the data imported to table sql_log_import:

08/06/2014 03:08:58,spid4s,Unknown,SQL Trace was stopped due to server shutdown. Trace ID = '1'. This is an informational message only; no user action is required.

08/06/2014 03:08:58,spid12s,Unknown,The current event was not reported to the Windows Events log. Operating system error = 1717(The interface is unknown.). You may need to clear the Windows Events log if it is full.

08/06/2014 03:08:58,spid12s,Unknown,Error: 17054<c/> Severity: 16<c/> State: 1.

08/06/2014 03:08:58,Server,Unknown,The connection has been lost with Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC). Recovery of any in-doubt distributed transactions involving Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC) will begin once the connection is re-established. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.

08/06/2014 03:08:58,spid12s,Unknown,Service Broker manager has shut down.

08/06/2014 03:08:55,Server,Unknown,SQL Server is terminating because of a system shutdown. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.

The final table is very similar, but with a timestamp with timezone field for the logged server data.  But, when I try to populate the target table with data from the staging table, I keep getting an error.  The issue is associated with the to_timestamp function.

Here’s what I’m seeing:  If I use to_timestamp with the text data (copied from table sql_log_import.ts), the select statement returns a timestamp with timezone,  as expected:

-- Executing query:

select to_timestamp('08/06/2014 03:08:58', 'MM/DD/YYYY hh24:mi:ss')::timestamp with time zone as tstamp

Total query runtime: 78 ms.

1 row retrieved.

But, when I select data from the table sql_log_import, I get an error:

-- Executing query:

select to_timestamp(ts, 'MM/DD/YYYY hh24:mi:ss')::timestamp with time zone as tStamp

from sql_log_import

where id <= 10

SQL state: 22007

Detail: Value must be an integer.