Re: Clarify "allow_system_table_mods"

От Melvin Davidson
Тема Re: Clarify "allow_system_table_mods"
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 8:18 PM, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
On Monday, April 25, 2016, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Melvin,

* Melvin Davidson (melvin6925@gmail.com) wrote:
> So in essence "*Allows modification of the structure of system tables" does
> NOT allow _structural_ changes (probably only dml changes)
> and the documentation should be changed to clarify.

That would imply that other changes are acceptable.  That is not the
case.  Certain DML changes could cause crashes too.

The documentation is pretty clear that this option is for initdb, and
not anyone else.  I'm unconvinced that we need anything more.

If anything it should be shortened to simply that.

David J.

>The documentation is pretty clear that this option is for initdb
Hmmm, if you go back a few comments, you will note that per initdb --help there is no such option available.
It is further confusing for allow_system_table_mods to be in postgresql.conf, since it is initdb that creates postgresql.conf.
IOW, it is putting the cart before the horse, or catch-22.
--
Melvin Davidson

От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: Clarify "allow_system_table_mods"
От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: Clarify "allow_system_table_mods"