Re: Is it possible to load two different versions of the JDBC driver in the same application?

От Tecno Brain
Тема Re: Is it possible to load two different versions of the JDBC driver in the same application?
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Because the Amazon Redshift documentation states the following:

"The PostgreSQL 9.x JDBC and ODBC drivers might not work correctly with all applications when accessing Amazon Redshift. Currently, Amazon Redshift recommends the following version 8.4 JDBC and ODBC drivers:"

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 2:32 PM, Steven Schlansker <stevenschlansker@gmail.com> wrote:

On Apr 11, 2014, at 2:28 PM, Tecno Brain <cerebrotecnologico@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a Java application that is using Postgres 9.1, and we use the latest 9.1 JDBC driver.
> The same Java app requires access now to a Redshift cluster. Amazon recommends to use a Postgres 8 JDBC driver.

Why?  That’s ancient!  Have you tested that the newer driver does not work?

> Can I load both drivers in the same application ?

Technically, yes.  You can load each driver in a separate classloader.  You may wish to look into a container solution like OSGI if you go this path.

I wouldn’t recommend it.  Diagnosing problems when multiple class loaders have the same classes loaded but different versions will quickly melt your brain into a puddle of mush.